Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Red box, part 2

As promised, part two of the red box...

I was able to play in the 2006 Outgames in Montreal.  For the opening ceremonies, they had the all athletes line up from what I presumed to be the rear of the Olympic Stadium.  From that side, we never saw any spectators coming into the stadium.  The walk in began after the ceremony started and began outside but slowly we made our way into the tunnels below the stadium.  And then it got darker as we entered the last little tunnel before the stadium and walked in....

And we were not alone.  What seemed like the entire city of Montreal was up in the stands cheering.  For us!  Most of weren't from Montreal or even Canada but they were there to show their excitement and support and welcoming us to the city.

That's the little red equal on the pages I see of family and friends.  It means that though they may not be gay, they understand love.  It's a sign that this battle for the right to shout to the world about the man I love is a true.  It's a sign that because of interactions they've had with either other gays or myself, they realize that we are human (shock) and that we love (bigger shock).  It's a swell of pride and affection from me to anyone that finally gets it - I am not defined by a book that calls me a sinner but I define myself by being who I am and loving who my heart chooses.

It also means I need to plan a bigger wedding.  Good thing I'm not engaged yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment