Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What shapes you?

My dharma this month for all of my classes has revolved around being playful, finding the fun in yoga. It's easy to do when you're attempting bakasana (crow) because it's a crazy fun pose!  Your body is being lifted in the air by your arms and if you fail, you get to do a summersault.  Fun.

But what in more difficult poses?  How do you find the joy, the playful, the bliss?  And how do you find all of those in your life?

I re-read a poem recently that left a nugget in my mind.  It was written by Jewel (sorry but I think her thought process is beautiful and her words even more so)....

The things you fear are undefeatable
not by their nature but by your approach.

So it's not the fear itself that defeats us.  We defeat ourselves.  Daily.  Maybe even more frequently.  When the universe throws a fear, a challenge, a really shitty day your way, it's not that moment that defines us - it's how we respond that makes us.  Believe me, I know bad things happen.  But at some point, after grieving and missing him so much, I had the option: I could either continue to feel sorry for myself or I could find a way to grow.  I chose to grow.  Though on the scale of things, it's only been a teeny tiny bit of growth.  It's growth.  And I still miss "X" daily.

But my missing him now is changed.  Rather than making it more on the depressed side of things, I smile often when I think of him.  Seriously smile.  And that's the flip in the switch we all need to make with whatever is happening in our lives.  As I told a few friends recently, we all have the power within us to shape our own direction.  That power can come from a variety of emotions.  And it's that power, that strength that makes us the person we are today.

And the survivor/fighter/lover we'll be.

No comments:

Post a Comment